Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Farewell...

Today was my last full day in Shell. It's been a great summer. I've learned a lot and I've grown spiritually. Yesterday they had a "despedida" (farewell party) for me. It was good to hear how people were blessed by me being there and how they all think I should come back next summer:-).
Last weekend I went on a jungle trip with a group of working visitors/summer missionaries out to a place on the Napo river. It was a lot of fun hanging out with people my age (for once) and sharing our experiences of the summer. We also learned a lot about Amazonian culture and language. We helped a jungle Kichua woman plant some yucca (manioc, or casava). We also went to a Kichua church service, went tubing down the Napo river, and played a lot of games.

Monday and Tuesday the working visitors were all in Shell to help at the Hospital, and I worked with them. Monday we dug a drainage ditch and Tuesday we power washed a pedestrian swinging bridge. Once again, it was great being around people my age :-).

Well, I'm pretty sad to see Shell go, but looking forward to seeing my friends in Mississippi again (one in particular, wink, wink). Thank you all for your prayers, they've meant a lot. For those of you who donated money, there was some left over, but I've asked that it be put in the HVO charity fund, which goes to help patients who can't afford medical care.

God Bless!
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment